Postcard from a Library Mascot


Good Day!

Goose - wizard, magic missile extraordinaire and library mascot here!

With the news of an unforeseen circumstance akin to a plague literally sweeping the lands, I decided to quickly head off elsewhere. Although I have left along with the other library mascots so we could be safe, many have also decided to hold fort and stay.

Of course, as a fairly accomplished wizard, this was not the first time i have become isolated. Many moons ago, before my wand and skills had been forged, I had a formative experience upon a lighting fixture in the lower part of the library. Many tried to rescue me, but their efforts were in vain.

For my journey, which I'm sure you will be glad to hear was a success, I brought some essentials with me. My badges of honour, my wand... and Larry's hat - he was over the weight limit for the baggage on his plane, so I offered to look after it for him.

I arrived safely, and once I was into the resort, I met three acquaintances who I'd previously seen at Readathon last year, when we were all asked to attend.

Duck was the nicest one when I first met the three- they definitely seemed the most interested in my skills as a wizard and asked me to teach them some tricks, to which I obliged. I've discovered after meeting them again that they can float, which is nice.

Taco was also quite nice. I assumed that he would also be a squirrel considering the rest of us were, but no - he was literally a sentient Taco running an indie art gallery in the backroom. Because of the similar appearance of each member Taco's species, many thought he was a narcissist running an exhibit about himself, but I can confirm he was just a misunderstood artist trying to make a mark in a human world. Recently, he's been telling me, he's become an activist for fair portrayal of Taco's in the media - and says the imminent closure of many restaurants selling tacos has been a controversial win for the cause.

Last but not least was Chestnut, or Chestnut E. Tiverton for his full name. Bit of a grumpy so-and-so - insisted he was the head of the SQA and that he should be helping prepare the exams over in Little France. He also insisted that he would only speak in "Scottish Qualifications Authority Reference Language" (or SQARL for short) - the SQA's choice of computing code commonly known as Squirrel - which made communication a pain. When I asked him if he wanted any pizza, he replied with "SET WouldYouLikeSomePizza TO No, SEND WouldYouLikeSomePizza TO DISPLAY". When I met him again today, he was like a different squirrel - far more polite and actually spoke normally. This was possibly caused by the announcement of there being no exams the day before, and he seemed a bit distant and shaky.

Anyway, I fear this postcard will arrive late because I've entrusted it to the sharks. If you haven't met them, their understanding of modern technology is atrocious, and they will likely try to fax it over. I'm sure they will figure it out eventually but unfortunately it will arrive when it arrives.

I will see you all again soon

Goose

Search This Blog