Fairytales Retold

There is something exciting about a reworking of old familiar tale. I always approach those books with a mix of excitement and dread. What if they are rubbish? Well the two I just read fall into the good side.

I'll start with Ash by Malinda Lo. A reworking of Cinderella this sees our heroine not chasing after the handsome prince but rather the Royal Huntress.  Many of the characters are familiar - mean step mother, 'ugly' sisters (ugly in personality rather than looks). The Fairy Godmother is replaced by a male Fairy who is far darker than anything imagined by Disney. The magical world mixes many of the myths and stories I've read or heard. Ash also learns that while your wish can be granted everything has a price. I really enjoyed this story (reading it in one sitting), I liked the twist on the traditional tale and I liked the dark side to the magic.

You can read more about the Malinda Lo here or at her blog

Also on the dark side is Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce (again in one sitting) a reworking of Red Ridinghood. This time Granny is eaten by the wolf but this isn't a regular wolf it's a werewolf style creature who prey on little girls silly enough to wander alone.

There are two sisters - the older injured in the attack that killed her Gran is forever scarred both physically and mentally. The younger is trying to find a way to be her own person without losing her sister. I enjoyed reading this more than i expected, I feared it would be a slightly Twilight-esque tale with little originality but was pleased to find this wasn't the case.

You can read the latest news on Jackson Pearce at her blog

Search This Blog