Mrs Wilson's Been Reading...

Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Blood Stains by Catriona McPherson ****

This is book five in the Dandy Gilver series, though since I totally failed to look that up before I started reading it is the first in the series I've read. The plot is self contained so there was little that was affected by this oversight, though I did wonder about Dandy's husband and Alex as it's clear there has been more of a story before the setting of this book.

Set in Edinburgh during May 1926, as workers down tools to support the coal miner strikes, Dandy takes up a job as a ladies maid to try and help a wife who fears her husband is going to kill her. However it's the apparently wicked husband who is bumped off in a locked house where the only suspects are his wife and the staff.

I do like a locked room mystery and this one was certainly diverting. I liked the characters and the little bits of history thrown in -it was interesting to find out about the 1926 strikes something I'd never been particularly aware of. Enjoyable to read, I'll be on the look out for the first book in the series.


Search This Blog