Mrs. Wilson's been reading...

4. As You Wish by Cary Elwes ***
I love the Princess Bride and Elwes tales of his experiences making the movie made for an enjoyable and diverting read.

5. Fonduing Fathers by Julie Hyzy ***
I love this Whitehouse Chef series. The story is that Oli is the head Chef at the Whitehouse and ends up getting mixed up in murder and crime solving in between serving amazing food to the US President. I didn't like this story as much as previous books in the series (I think because it wasn't in the White House so much and was less about cooking though it did tell you more about Oli and her partners back story) but it was still a fun read.

6. Quantum and Woody vol.1: The World's Worst Superhero Team by James Asmus and Tom Fowler ***
I liked this graphic novel, bits made me smile and I liked the two unlikely heroes. Two brothers get zapped and find themselves with superpowers but it's not all happy families. I would happily read more of the series.

7. Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting by David Reed ***
Set around season 5 its a entertaining read for a fan of the show. It sees Bobby losing his memory due to some attack he can't remember, as he tries to work out what happened he is trying to get as much information about his life and knowledge on paper while he still has any.

8. Wonder Woman/Superman vol.1: Power Couple by Charles Soule and Tony Daniel *
This is one of this years Stan Lee Excelsior books. The story see Wonder Woman and Superman in a romantic relationship facing off against the gods, aliens and other things bent on destroying Earth. I wasn't crazy about this imagining of the famous pair as a couple, I rather liked the idea that they mixed with us regular plebs. What bugged most was reference to action in other series in the All New 52 leaving me with the feeling I missed a page of text. The All New 52 series has changed the back stories of characters and Wonder Woman has had a pretty big change but obviously that isn't covered here, I don't think it should have been, but the odd throw away line referencing things like that she is now the god of war did leave me unclear about what the heck had happened. I think this comic collection would read better if read along with the All New Wonder Woman and Superman comics.

9. Calvin and Hobbes: Weirdos From Another Planet by Bill Watterson *****
I adore Calvin and Hobbes and this could well be my favourite of the comic strip collections. The short strips about a boy and his toy tiger sound simple but they are wonderful. I loved reading this again as a mum, it opens up a whole new layer to the strips I'd missed as a kid.

10. 1411 QI Facts to Knock You Sideways by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson ***
As always a quite interesting read, it's a bunch of facts that you may or may not have known. I read it as an ebook as a filler for when I had a few minutes free.

11. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexis ***
It is a collection of short stories which follow a few key people on a Native American reservation, often their lives cross over, impacting on each other. It is an interesting read and reveals the reality of a culture and community often neglected in fiction.

12. I Told You I was Ill: The Last Words of the Rich and Famous by Maria Pritchard **
This was a fun bathroom read. It is exactly what you'd expect from the title with some interesting additional trivia on the very wide mix of people quoted.

13. Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen ****
I loved this memoir. It was interesting not just as you followed Maya try and follow a 1950s teen popularity guide but also to see the wider world she inhabited - makes JYHS seem like a very safe place!

Search This Blog